Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Squeeze-it Effect

It is of no shock, to any American third grader, that love is transmitted via plastic lunch pail. I remember such a plastic lunch box, light blue with white handle, a graphic of the Care Bears splashed on front. Full with pride, I would happily carry it to school. Sitting at a bench table within the noisy lunch hall, I would open my prized box and inside find matching thermos and a meal spread between numerous baggies.

Earlier in the week while at the grocery with my Mother, I had begged for cheese powdered chips, white soft bread, frosted cookies, and a certain fruit punch called Squeeze-it. Of course, my mother said no to all requests. I learned that fruit was better than chips, wheat better than white, frosted cookies are to expensive, and Squeeze-it was "nothing but sugar".

Back in the crowded and noisy lunch hall, I would sit confronted by a lunch box that reflected my mother decisions. It was at this moment I heard the squeezing and accompanying slurping of Melanie. Melanie was the post popular girl of the third grade, and subsequently the queen of lunch boxes. She would not only be sucking-down on a Squeeze-it, but in-between squeezes and slurps would boastfully brag about her customized napkin that had beautifully drawn picture of hot air balloons signed "love mom and dad". It was the Squeeze-it effect: unbridled envy of a third grader who first felt the pinch of status via stuff.

This week in my Anthropology of Food course we learned about another lunch box tradition found in Japan. Mothers traditionally introduce bento boxes to young preschool children. In the bento box, a mother carefully makes creative lunch usually filled with rice ball, pickled veggies, meat, etc. This bento box is then consumed by the child at school, which translates into a source of love, support, and structure. It is in effect bento introduces the child to their role as pupil and likewise mother as pupil supporter. Depending on factors such as class a bento box can become more elaborate both thematically and aesthetically.

In my American childhood, the lunch box became a conduit to introduce me to American consumerism and accompanying envy. I wanted to be like Melanie. Her family would/could buy Squeeze-its. I wanted a Squeeze-it. In addition to consumables, like the Squeeze-it, Melanie had parents who had the time to draw her elaborate pictures and write special notes, my parents both worked. The lunch box became a story of economics and class. In my eyes, Melanie was rich and life (of course) was perfect.

Up until this topic was discussed in class, the importance of the bento, I have not thought of Melanie and her perfect Squeeze-it filled lunch box. What I have realized is that fruit is better than chips, wheat is better than white, frosted cookies are to expensive, and Squeeze-its are gross. Mother was right.

No comments: